Experience TypeTool’s incredible glyph support capabilities
With the ability to create and edit more than 65,500 glyphs, your font design options are nearly limitless! You can create a font as large as you want, even in languages that have far more glyphs than traditional English.
For example, Arabic has different glyphs for any given character depending on where it appears in a word or sentence. With lower-quality font editor software, you risk running out of space in your glyph set. But with TypeTool, you can stop worrying. TypeTool supports font design for languages that read from right to left, making it easier than ever to create an Arabic or Hebrew font.
TypeTool has a variety of basic drawing and vector paint tools available (e.g. brush, pen, eraser and knife tools), as well as advanced tools. These help you insert nodes (points along a path in the glyph’s outline), remove overlapping contours and alter contours by merging, intersecting, breaking or joining them.
There are also tools to let you add corners, curves, tangents, rectangles and ellipses to your glyphs. Guidelines within the glyph editor help you make sure your glyphs are uniformly sized.
TypeTool has a batch transformation feature that lets you shift, rotate, scale, skew and flip. Using the skew function it’s easy to create an italic version of a font that does not automatically include italics.
You can manually adjust hinting for an individual glyph, or you can apply automatic hinting to an entire font. You can also adjust kerning manually or use the automatic settings to do it for you. Glyph metrics are edited in a separate window in a what-you-see-is-what-you-get display, making the process much simpler than if you had to manually type in values.
You can make edits to individual glyphs, entire fonts or to a font’s family or style name, giving you complete control over your fonts.
Drawing tools, vector paint tools and transformation functions are all displayed in moveable panels.
“TypeTool’s strong font design feature set and outstanding conversion and editing functions, coupled with its relative ease of use, make this font creator a great choice for intermediate and professional use.”
– Top Ten Reviews
- Opens/Imports Win Type 1 (.pfb), ASCII/Unix Type 1 (.pfa), TrueType / OpenType TT (.ttf), OpenType PS (.otf), EPS, BMP, TIFF, FontLab 2.5 (.vfa), FontLab 3.x, FontLab 4.x, FontLab Studio 5 (.vfb). Mac version also opens Mac Type 1 (FFIL/LWFN/.suit) and Mac TrueType (FFIL/.dfont).
Generates/ExportsWin Type 1 (.pfb), ASCII/Unix Type 1 (.pfa), TrueType / OpenType TT (.ttf), OpenType PS (.otf), EPS, BMP, TIFF, FontLab 3.x, FontLab 4.x, FontLab Studio 5 (.vfb). Mac version also generates Mac Type 1 (FFIL/LWFN/.suit) and Mac TrueType (FFIL/.dfont). Note Editing of advanced typographic OpenType Layout features is not possible.
- Tools/operations Drawing, Erase, Rotate, Skew, Zoom, Insert Node, Remove Overlap, Merge Contours, Intersect Contours, Break/Join Contour, Snap to Guides, Meter, Autohint, Remove hints, Decompose, Knife, Magic wand select, Add corner, Add curve, Add tangent, Brush, Pen, Line, Text, Rectangle, Ellipse, Action (8 filters), Undo (200 levels).
- Windows Glyph Window, Font Window, Font Info Dialog, Metrics/Kerning Window, Font Map, context sensitive popup menus and property windows.
- Encoding 40 built-in encodings (Adobe, Microsoft, Apple, ISO) 150+ built-in codepages (Adobe, Microsoft, Apple, ISO, IBM, OS/2) including 2-byte Chinese, Japanese and Korean.
- Printouts Font Table, Font Sample, Glyph Sample.
375+ page user manual